.

.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Little Bee by Chris Cleave


I just finished Little Bee a few days ago and I have decided that I just did not like the book. I liked some aspects of the narrative, but I did not really care for the characters all that much. The book is about two women whose lives are linked together based on the night that they first meet on a beach in Nigeria - one woman, Little Bee, is a Nigerian refugee, whilst the other woman, Sarah, is a Brit out on holiday with her Irish husband Andrew. We learn what happens on that fateful night and what happens to both women years later when they meet again. And, well, I just did not really dig this book. I lost interest in the characters midway through and only finished the book because, well, I just wanted to finish it. The strange thing is that I think I would have enjoyed the story more if the author had expanded on the roles of some of the minor characters first mentioned in the book, but alas he did not.

I'm off now to read another book, hopefully, one much better written than this one. I am debating between the new biography on Jean Rhys called, The Blue Hour and Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Of course I could always read the P&P&Zombies book for a good laugh. Hmmm.

Well, happy reading to all!

2 comments:

Karen said...

So sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this one. I read it last year and absolutely loved it.

Unknown said...

I agree that the writing isn't that amazing, but the power is in the emotions and the pace of the plot. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it. It is one of the best books I've read all year.