.

.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sookie Stackhouse rocks!

I bought this book on a whim and brought it on vacation and actually read it whilst on vacation. I tend to take books with me when I go away, but never actually read them ( I always seem to be too busy to read). And I must say that I was really happy I read this book, it was just so much fun to read. It is what I would call a fluff book - an extremely easy to read book that has a good plot. Dead Until Dark is the first book in the 9 book series by Charlaine Harris which centers on vampires living in the mainstream society of Bon Temps, Louisiana. We are introduced to Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress at Merlotte's who can read minds and Bill Compton, a vampire trying to remodel his home and maintain a sense of normalcy. Sookie and Bill begin to date in this first book and soon, Sam (a shapeshifter and Sookie's boss), is trying to make his feelings for her known by asking her out on a date. Then there is Jason, Sookie's brother who is constantly in trouble with the law based on his sexual escapades with a few of the local women, who seem to turn up murdered. And there are so many other characters introduced in this first book, all of them interesting and unique. We have murder, sex, love and the supernatural spread throughout the storylines. We have a world where vampires have come out of their coffins and are now mainstreaming (living with the living) and relying on synthetic blood for their feeding habit. We have violence and crazy dripping off the pages in certain sections and a sense of hope emanating on other pages. All in all, a very good read. I have purchased the dvd set of season one of True Blood (which is based on the Sookie Stackhouse books) and will be watching that soon enough (tried to watch the first episode and the lights went out). And I have purchased a few of the other books in the series to get me along and will be posting about them when I finish reading a few of them. For now though, I am off to read my Oprah magazine. Cheers and Happy reading!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I've got to start reading this series. I don't think I've heard of anyone not liking it.

Nadia said...

Definitely check it out. Its just a nice fluff read for when you aren't in the mood for a literary book.