.

.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander McCall Smith

I just finished reading the latest installment of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith - and I loved it!! This series is one of my favorites and every time a new book gets released I immediately rush out and buy it. I can't help but dive straight into the world of Botswana and the latest adventures of Mma Ramotswe and her assistant Mma Makutsi.   This time round we have a mean aunt to contend with, an unhappy set of spouses accusing each other of infidelity, the theft of a house and an American woman's request to bestow a monetary inheritance to her safari guide.  All in all, another day's work at the office of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.  The writing is familiar and easy to fall in step with.  The cast of characters are old friends and easy to reconnect with.  The descriptions of Botswana are vivid and lush, thereby making it possible to simply close one's eyes and envision it clearly.  The wisdom and wit expressed by Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi is tried and true.  And just like that I was once again swept away, only to be brought back to reality when the final page was turned.  Now I have to wait and see if Alexander McCall Smith will pen another book of mysteries for Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi to solve. (I'm thinking he will, because Mma Makutsi and Phuti still need to be married off).   Anyhow, I didn't really want to review the book, but merely mention how happy I was to read it. Sometimes, a light and simple text is all one needs to enjoy an afternoon - and The Double Comfort Safari Club was just that text.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend full of bookish experiences. Cheers!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your reaction to this book. I am way behind on the series but it's just what I need and you've reminded me of that. And I enjoy the look of your blog and its info!

Dot said...

I love this series of books! I am a little behind though, just starting The Good Husband of Zebra Drive!

Nadia said...

Thanks, westcobich! I love this series, so every time a new book comes out I get excited! And I'm glad you've checked out my blog - cheers! I just clicked on yours and am enjoying it! How could they say to only buy books you will read more than once? Craziness!

Dot, isn't this series great? I just love Mma Ramotswe! Hope you enjoy The Good Husband!

bermudaonion said...

This series is so sweet and wonderful. It's been a while since I've read any books from it, but I definitely need to get back to it.

Nadia said...

Bermudaonion, it is exactly that - sweet and wonderful. I love these books because they are so familiar and fun to read. Its a nice series to dip into.

Lisa said...

I've got to take a look at this series. You and my mom both love it so I know I won't be disappointed.

Nadia said...

Definitely check it out, Lisa! Your mom and I wouldn't steer you wrong :)

Athira said...

I'm so glad you like this series, since I have the first book at home and I am planning to read it some time this year!

Nadia said...

Aths, definitely read it when you get some time. These characters stay with you and you can't help but look forward to each new book. Such a great series!