.

.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Five Days of Fear: A Novel by David Kovach

 about book: 

A RACE AGAINST TIME.

During a family picnic, Jessica Britton's well-ordered world is slammed against a brutal reality when her mom is kidnapped, her dad is shot, and authorities can find no clues to begin their investigation.  Jessica's own anxiety and fear for her mother's life compels her to help FBI agent Dan Hamilton look for motives and clues that would lead to rescuing her mom.  By chance, clues begin to emerge, and the once floundering investigation speeds to a hectic race against time and criminal minds in a desperate attempt to save Jessica's mom and the lives of many in San Francisco's business district. 

my thoughts:   

What a great read for the weekend! I spent all day Sunday plopped on my bed turning page after page of this unputdownable novel.  I couldn't help myself, I was hooked from the start and had to find out what would happen in the end.  Filled with suspense and thrills, this debut novel is a quick and engaging read.  It is the epitome of a suspense thriller - drama, action, twists and turns.  The writing is great, the characters are very relatable, and the mystery/suspense factor is exciting.  I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to read this book, as it is labeled under the Christian lit genre - I was expecting a lot of preaching about faith and God.  I was so wrong - though faith and God are mentioned, the book never becomes preachy.  In fact, I think the word that would sum up the book's relationship to the Christian lit label is wholesomeness.  You see, for being a suspense thriller, the book does not contain obscenities or overly graphic/gritty details regarding crime scenes.  I actually liked that about the book, because sometimes, I think that all those swear words and grisly scenes in books are overrated. 

As for the story itself - I found it to be riveting.  Kovach did a terrific job translating today's headlines into his story lines - technology, terrorism, privacy.  I found myself terrified and swept away by the action - hoping that Jessica and Dan would get to the bottom of what was happening.  I wanted answers and I wanted the truth.  Plus, I enjoyed the love connection between Dan and Jessica - it was inevitable.  All, in all, this book was the highlight of my weekend.  I would definitely recommend to fans of suspense/crime thrillers and Christian lit fans - you will not be disappointed!

Here's a link to the book trailer.

And here's a link to the author's site.
Thanks to TLC Book Tours and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

6 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I'm on this tour and this is in my stack to read. I'm glad it's so good! I'm looking forward to it.

Nadia said...

Holly, you will definitely enjoy this book - it is so good! I'm looking forward to your post ;)

Elizabeth said...

Hi! I'm the Senior Editor with Light Messages, the publisher for David Kovach's FIVE DAYS OF FEAR. Thanks so much for your excellent review--we're so glad you enjoyed it. Rumor is, David is working on the sequel to this book and has another book underway. We'll keep you posted!

Nadia said...

Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by! I loved the book - it was fantastic! I'm looking forward to the sequel - how exciting!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm glad that you gave this book a chance in spite of the genre ... sounds like it was a fantastic read and didn't have any of the pitfalls you were concerned about!

Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

Nadia said...

Heather, thanks for having me on this tour. I really enjoyed the book so much :)