.

.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes

Today's the last day of National Poetry Month and to cap off the month, I decided to share one last poem.  This is one of my favorites.  I actually hadn't thought about it in awhile, but after a talk I had with my mom the other day - well, it resonated with me even more.  You see, my  mom shared about some ugly moments that she and my aunt endured as housekeepers.  They were asked to eat in the kitchen - so to speak.  Although in my aunt's case, she was told to eat outside.  Thinking about what they went through made me think of this Hughes' poem, and it made me think of a lot of other things - but that is for another day and forum.  Anyhow, here's the poem:

I, Too, Sing America
by Langston Hughes

I, Too, Sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table,
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed -

I, too, am America.

5 comments:

Rebecca @ Love at First Book said...

Thanks for sharing! I love Langston Hughes. I read one of his books in high school!

Nadia said...

Rebecca, thanks for reading ;)

bermudaonion said...

What a great poem!

The Relentless Reader said...

Thanks for sharing so many good poems :)

Nadia said...

bermudaonion, it really is :)

Jennifer, thanks for reading them ;)