.

.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Doctor Who (Book 3): Last of the Gaderene by Mark Gatiss

(Thank you to TLC Book Tours and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!)



about book:

A Third Doctor adventure, featuring the Doctor as played by Jon Pertwee and his companion Jo.

The aerodrome in Culverton has new owners, and they promise an era of prosperity for the idyllic village. But former Spitfire pilot Alex Whistler is suspicious – when black-shirted troops appear on the streets, he contacts his old friend Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart at UNIT. The Third Doctor is sent to investigate – and soon uncovers a sinister plot to colonise the Earth. The Gaderene are on their way…

Mark Gatiss is one of The League of Gentlemen from the award-winning television show, and the author of the novels The Vesuvius  Club and The Devil in Amber.  He has also written acclaimed  radio and television scripts, including episodes of Doctor Who. He co-created and writes for the hit TV series Sherlock with Doctor Who show-runner Steven Moffat. Mark lives in London.

my thoughts:

Love, love, love!!  I absolutely love Doctor Who and this book was no exception.  It made me want to read more Doctor Who books and watch more Doctor Who on the telly.  I still can't believe that Matt Smith is going to retire from playing the Doctor!  I wonder who they will get next - hmm?  Too bad they can't bring back David Tennant, my favorite Doctor Who - now that would be AMAZING!!

As for this book - it was terrific!  Last of the Gaderene was a captivating and thrilling story.  It swept me away with its engrossing storyline, vivid details, and relatable characters.  I found myself under the spell of Doctor Who and couldn't have been happier.  In fact, I actually think that this book did an excellent job of portraying the Doctor - I felt the excitement and terror he must experience with each mission.  Plus, I really enjoyed getting to know Jo, his sidekick.  Oh, and the terribly creepy Gaderene - YIKES!  All in all, this was a fantastically fun read - a perfect story for Whovians!

So, what was the story about?  Well, lets just say its about some sinister plans that are set in motion in a small English village and the only one who can save humanity is the Doctor.  Joined by his friends, the Doctor sets out to discover who is behind the evil plot and what can be done to stop it.  Suffice it to say, thrills and adventure abound -  I actually felt like I was watching an episode of Doctor Who, instead of reading about it.  How cool is that? And, I loved every minute of it!  So, I just know that fans of Doctor Who are going to LOVE this book.  It has everything you want in a Doctor Who story, and maybe even a little bit more than you hope for.

I would most definitely recommend Last of the Gaderene to all fans of the Doctor Who series - you will not be disappointed!!  In fact, you will become an even bigger fan of the series as a result of reading this book - so, go and get your hands on a copy ASAP!!

Check out the TLC Book Tour schedule for more Doctor Who book reviews: Doctor Who!

And, now I'm off to read me some Alafair Burke.  Happy reading!!! 
Thank you to TLC Book Tours and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

5 comments:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love, love, love Doctor Who as well, though I have to admit to liking Matt Smith the best (David Tennant is a blast as well of course).

Thanks for being on the tour! I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) said...

I love Doctor Who - grew up watching the TV show as a kid, have seen almost every episode over the years - but I've never read any books of it. I think I'm going to have to fix that! Love your enthusiasm, thanks for the review.

Amanda said...

I got to read the Fourth Doctor and the Ninth Doctor books and love loved them. I grew up watching the Doctor with my dad and love that it's made a come back. David Tennant I'll admit is my favorite as well.

park said...

Doctor Who!!! this post reminds me a lot!

Nadia said...

Heather, who doesn't love Doctor Who ;) Matt Smith grew on me I have to admit. And thanks for having me on the tour.

Shannon, definitely fix that and read the books - you will be so happy you did :)

Amanda, yay! Another Tennant fan!

park, I'm glad it reminds you!