.

.

Monday, August 26, 2013

The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle

(Thank you to Literary Lushes for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

When it comes to love, sometimes one plus one equals more than two...

For eighteen years Wren Gray has been the model daughter, which in her family means all As, zero boyfriends, and early acceptance into a pre-med program.  But as high school graduation nears, so does an uncomfortable realization.  Pleasing her parents once overlapped with pleasing herself, but now...not so much.  Wren needs to honor her own desires, but how can she if she doesn't even know what they are?

Charlie Parker, on the other hand, knows exactly what he wants.  A gentle boy with a troubled past, Charlie has loved Wren since the day he first saw her.  But a girl like Wren would never fall for a guy like Charlie - at least not the sort of guy Charlie believes himself to be.

And yet certain things are written in the stars.  And in the summer after high school, Wren's and Charlie's souls will collide.  But souls are complicated, as are the bodies that house them...

Deeply sexy and achingly romantic, this gorgeous novel, from one of young adult literature's most distinctive voices, explores that time between high school and college when life seems to be just beginning, and everything - including true love - is possible.

my thoughts:

Guess what popped into my head as I read Lauren Myracle's, The Infinite Moment of Us?  I'll give you a hint - think 80s film featuring a guy holding a boom box (playing Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes) outside his girlfriend's window.  If you guessed, Say Anything, then you are correct.  Yep, I could not help but think of Lloyd Dobbler and Diane Court, as I read about Charlie Parker and Wren Gray.   Why?  Well, because when Charlie tells his best friend that he is going to ask out Wren, he's told that she is in a "league of her own" and that he shouldn't bother.  Of course, Charlie's mind is set and the next thing you know his lips are touching Wren's lips.  Yep, turns out that Wren has had her heart set on Charlie, especially after the moment their souls collided at school one day - basically, they had a moment and in Wren's mind that was it (she was sold on Charlie Parker).  I know that the speed at which Charlie and Wren's relationships moves along, isn't the same as Lloyd and Diane's, but their first love experience really reminded me of Lloyd and Diane's.  I think that is why I loved the story so much.  Don't get me wrong, there are vast differences - like, foster homes, child abuse, suicide attempts, and Project Unity.  But the overall theme is first love and the ups and downs that come with it.  I loved reading about Wren choosing to follow her heart, and Charlie loving his family so fiercely - these two really made the perfect couple.  The only problem I had with the book was the overuse of the word 'baby' - I swear Charlie ended every sentence with the word 'baby'.  Ugh!  It drove me bonkers!  But that was really my only quibble with the book.

At the end of the day,  I enjoyed getting lost The Infinite Moment of Us - it made me smile, cry, and then smile again.  Plus, it made me want to buy Say Anything on DVD, so that I can get lost in Lloyd Dobbler and Diane Court's love story.  So, yes, I would definitely recommend this novel, especially to fans of YA lit and romance stories.

Thank you to Literary Lushes for providing me with a copy of this book and for having me on the ARC Tour of The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle!

2 comments:

Ti said...

You know me.. an 80's lover from way back but I hated Say Anything!! LOL! I think I will skip this one based on my hatred of the movie.

You might ask why I hate it so much. That actress! Ione Sky. Ick, ick. She bugged and the whole prison thing.

Nadia said...

Ti, what!?! OMG! I can't believe you hated that movie!! I loved it!! Its one of my faves ;) I can agree with you on the prison part of it, but other than that I really loved Lloyd and Diane ;)