.

.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Supreme Macaroni Company: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani

(Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

For over a hundred years, the Angelini Shoe Company in Greenwich Village has relied on the leather produced by Vechiarelli & Son in Tuscany. This historic business partnership provides the twist of fate for Valentine Roncalli, the school teacher turned shoemaker, to fall in love with Gianluca Vechiarelli, a tanner with a complex past . . . and a secret.

A piece of surprising news is revealed at The Feast of the Seven Fishes when Valentine and Gianluca join her extended family on a fateful Christmas Eve. Now faced with life altering choices, Valentine remembers the wise words that inspired her in the early days of her beloved Angelini Shoe Company: “A person who can build a pair of shoes can do just about anything.” The proud, passionate Valentine is going to fight for everything she wants and savor all she deserves—the bitter and the sweetness of life itself.

The Supreme Macaroni Company is Trigiani at her comedic and dramatic best, the inside story of a family business, and the shoemaker who carries on the tradition while juggling a new marriage and family. The pull between old world Italian ways and American ambition tear at Valentine, as a secret is revealed that changes the course of her life. The story takes the reader from the cobblestone streets of Greenwich Village, to lush New Orleans, and home to Italy, in Tuscany and on the Amalfi coast, with a surprise twist that takes the action to America’s rust belt, Youngstown, Ohio.

my thoughts:

This book was not for me.  I'd never read any of Trigiani's novels before and figured that this would be the perfect opportunity to give one of them a go.  Especially, since everyone seems to LOVE these books so much.  I sort of expected to enjoy the book just because they are so popular and seem to be enjoyed by tons of readers.  However, that was not the case for me.  I just found that I couldn't get into the story - it didn't jive with me.  Of course, this was the third book in a series and my first Trigiani, so that could be why I just didn't into get the book.  Plus, I thought that there was just too much happening in the story and that Valentine didn't get to really process everything or grow enough by the novel's end.  I just didn't find myself in love with the story as I had hoped.  I'm sure that fans of Trigiani's books will devour this book and LOVE it - I'm just not one of them. 

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Supreme Macaroni Company
 
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

6 comments:

picky said...

I really enjoyed the other books in this series, but this one was a departure, and frankly, I thought it was poorly written - both in plot and in style. Much of what happens doesn't seem true to the characters, and many of the characters just seem to be stock or stereotypical in this episode. I read it but was disappointed...

Nadia said...

picky, that rots. I hate when an author does that in a series - why change things up on your last book in a series?! How disappointing.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm sorry this book wasn't your cup of tea, but thanks for being on the tour.

Nadia said...

Heather, it happens. Oh well. Thanks for having me on the tour.

http://vintagereads.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

I must revisit Adriana Trigiani. Loved the Big Stone Gap trilogy. Thanks for the reminder!

Lisa said...

I've heard a lot of people who love Trigiani say that they weren't fond of this one so I wouldn't give up on her based on this one.