.

.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Broken Monsters: A Novel by Lauren Beukes


(Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

A criminal mastermind creates violent tableaus in abandoned Detroit warehouses in Lauren Beukes's new genre-bending novel of suspense.Detective Gabriella Versado has seen a lot of bodies. But this one is unique even by Detroit's standards: half boy, half deer, somehow fused together. As stranger and more disturbing bodies are discovered, how can the city hold on to a reality that is already tearing at its seams?

If you're Detective Versado's geeky teenage daughter, Layla, you commence a dangerous flirtation with a potential predator online. If you're desperate freelance journalist Jonno, you do whatever it takes to get the exclusive on a horrific story. If you're Thomas Keen, known on the street as TK, you'll do what you can to keep your homeless family safe--and find the monster who is possessed by the dream of violently remaking the world.

If Lauren Beukes's internationally bestselling The Shining Girls was a time-jumping thrill ride through the past, her Broken Monsters is a genre-redefining thriller about broken cities, broken dreams, and broken people trying to put themselves back together again.

my thoughts:

Wow! What a terrific book! Lauren Beukes thrilled me, chilled me, and kept me spellbound with her latest book, Broken Monsters.  I found myself obsessed with this story and wouldn't put it down for anything - I took it with me everywhere (dinner, doctor appointments, gym, grocery shopping, etc.).  I was hooked!  I just had to find out if Detective Versado would capture the Detroit Monster - the sadistic killer terrorizing the streets of Detroit.  Plus, I wanted to know if she would ever figure out the dangerous cyber antics of her daughter, Layla.  There are just so many layers to this story that you can't help but be fascinated by Beukes' writing abilities and creative imagination - its amazing!

Broken Monsters is not only about a crazed killer, but also the city of Detroit, the homeless plight, mother-daughter relationships and miscommunication, school bullying, sexual assault, sexual predators, and so much more!  Beukes has a knack for exploring so many hot topics and tying them all together seamlessly in much larger and connected story line - I loved it!  Through rich and descriptive details I found myself transported to this urban city and taking in all the sights - from the abandoned, decayed industrial buildings to the famous art scene (specifically, The Heidelberg Project - you know that house with the stuffed animals tacked all over the outside of the house). I could see the bus stops, the crazy busy coffee shops, the thousands of residents milling about and rushing to and from work, along with the chilly wind whipping through the trees and grey sky.  Beukes really showcases the nitty gritty and beauty of an ever-growing city.  We also get an unforgettable cast of characters to follow along - some you can relate to and others will haunt you.  The writing is top notch and flows at a rapid pace that keeps you on your toes.  I absolutely loved it!  I would most definitely recommend Broken Monsters to fans of Lauren Beukes' works and fans of horror/crime thrillers - you will be so glad you read this book!


Another book down for R.I.P. IX - woo hoo! That makes five!  Must be the Halloween in the air. 


Thanks to the publisher via NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

8 comments:

Ti said...

I didn't care for The Shining Girls. I think she wrote that one, right? I requested this one from the library because Uncle Stevie said it terrified him and when he says that, you have to pick it up. How can you not?

Nadia said...

Ti, yeah she wrote that one, but I haven't read it yet. I read that, too! That's why I picked up the book as well ;) I'm glad I believed him, because it turned out to be such a great read! Hope you like it!

Lark said...

Congratulations on all your R.I.P. reads. This one sounds particularly creepy. (Which makes it a great Halloween read!) Can't wait to check it out. Love your post.

Nadia said...

Lark, thanks so much! I'm pretty excited that I read so many for R.I.P. this year :) It was creepy and I loved it! Definitely let me know what you think of it :) Cheers!

bermudaonion said...

This one's been getting a lot of buzz and it sounds like it's well deserved. I need an unputdownable book in my life.

Nadia said...

Kathy, it has gotten a lot of buzz and that made me hesitant at first. However, I'm so glad I read this book, because it was such an engrossing and thrilling read. I think you'll like it - check it out!

Lindsey said...

I read this for RIP as well. You are so right when you say that she tackles so many big themes without making it seem like she is writing an "issues" book. Plus she scares the pants off of you!

I can't wait to see what she writes next.

Nadia said...

Lindsey, she does scare the pants off you!! I'm with you - I can't wait to read her next book ;)