.

.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

National Poetry Month begins NOW!

April means poems, poems, and more poems. Yep, its that time of year - National Poetry Month.  Hurrah! This means I'll be sharing some of my favorite poems with you all throughout the month.  I hope you join in and post some of your favorites as well.

Here's the 2015 National Poetry Month from the Academy of American Poets:
Pretty awesome, eh?  It was created by Roz Chast (2014 National Book Award finalist and New Yorker cartoonist) and features a line of poetry from Mark Strand's "Eating Poetry".

And, to kick off National Poetry Month I will leave you with:

Eating Poetry

By Mark Strand
 
Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry.

The librarian does not believe what she sees.
Her eyes are sad
and she walks with her hands in her dress.

The poems are gone.
The light is dim.
The dogs are on the basement stairs and coming up.

Their eyeballs roll,
their blond legs burn like brush.
The poor librarian begins to stamp her feet and weep.

She does not understand.
When I get on my knees and lick her hand,
she screams.

I am a new man.
I snarl at her and bark.
I romp with joy in the bookish dark.




Source: Selected Poems (Alfred A. Knopf, 1991)

3 comments:

Lark said...

Love this! What a great poem to start the month off with. I don't know why I don't read more poetry; I like it when I do, but I guess it's never a top priority for me. Maybe I'll try to read more poetry this month. (Or just check out your blog posts.) :)

Nadia said...

Lark, definitely try to read more poetry this month - its always worth it in the end. And, yes, stop by and read the poems I'll be sharing (some of my favorites!).

Emily said...

Returning your visit to my blog - glad to have discovered it! I've enjoyed the poems you've posted this month so far. (Also - I love your main blog image! Reading Women paintings are so fantastic.)