.

.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Newport: A Novel by Jill Morrow

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

In a glamorous Newport mansion filled with secrets, a debonair lawyer must separate truth from deception. . .

Spring 1921. The Great War is over, Prohibition is in full swing, the Great Depression is still years away. Wealthy families flock to the glittering “summer cottages” they built in Newport, Rhode Island.

Having sheltered in Newport during his misspent youth, attorney Adrian de la Noye is no stranger to the city. Though he’d prefer to forget the place, he returns to revise the will of a well-heeled client. Bennett Chapman’s offspring have the usual concerns about their father’s much-younger fiancée. But when they learn of the old widower’s firm belief that his late first wife, who “communicates” via séance, has chosen the stunning Catharine Walsh for him, they’re shocked. And for Adrian, encountering Catharine in the last place he saw her decades ago proves to be a far greater surprise.

Adrian is here to handle a will, and he intends to do so—just as soon as he unearths every last secret about the Chapmans, Catharine Walsh . . . and his own very fraught history.

Vividly bringing to life the glitzy era of the 1920s, Newport is a skillful alchemy of social satire, dark humor, and finely drawn characters.

my thoughts:

A story set during the "roaring" 20s in Providence, Rhode Island filled with fascinating (but unrealiable) characters, seances, mediums, and history galore - talk about a great summer read! I absolutely LOVED Newport by Jill Morrow.  The writing was fantastic - it was rich with detail, twists and turns, and plotlines that kept me reading late into the night.  Its a mystery-suspense novel with a supernatural slant.  The story does get a bit dark, which adds to the mystical elements of the story.  As for the history - its steeped in everything! From the vivid descriptions of the people and their homes to their predilection for spiritualism- this story showcased the 1920s in all its glory.  I loved getting caught up with this interesting cast of characters and all of their dramas (both past and present).  Talk about an intriguing read!

I would definitely recommend Newport to fans of historical fiction novels - you are in for quite a treat with this book! 

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: Newport
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

6 comments:

Lark said...

Ooh...this book has so many things that I love: the time period, the rich Newport setting, seances and the supernatural angle... what more could you want in a book? :) I'm so glad you read and reviewed this book. It's going at the top of my list! (I'm still on hold at my library for The Red Notebook...it's "in processing" and who knows how long that will take.) Happy Reading!

Nadia said...

Lark, enjoy! Its such a great read - you will LOVE it! My fingers crossed that they process TRN ASAP so that you can dive into that delightful tale. Happy Reading to you :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Having lived in RI for a number of years and spending lots of time in Newport, I'd love to try this one. Sounds so good to me.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

This certainly does sounds like a great summer read! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Lindsey said...

This sounds really good. I'm adding it to my tbr list, although it might have to wait until next summer...

Beth said...

OK, I've never heard of this one and am immediately adding it to my TBR. Do you think it'd be a good RIP challenge title? And yes, I am already creating my list even though we've got two months to go! Ha. This book sounds fantastic.