.

.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Ramblers: A Novel by Aidan Donnelley Rowley

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Set in the most magical parts of Manhattan—the Upper West Side, Central Park, Greenwich Village—The Ramblers explores the lives of three lost souls, bound together by friendship and family. During the course of one fateful Thanksgiving week, a time when emotions run high and being with family can be a mixed blessing, Rowley’s sharply defined characters explore the moments when decisions are deliberately made, choices accepted, and pasts reconciled.

Clio Marsh, whose bird-watching walks through Central Park are mentioned in New York Magazine, is taking her first tentative steps towards a relationship while also looking back to the secrets of her broken childhood. Her best friend, Smith Anderson, the seemingly-perfect daughter of one of New York’s wealthiest families, organizes the lives of others as her own has fallen apart. And Tate Pennington has returned to the city, heartbroken but determined to move ahead with his artistic dreams.

Rambling through the emotional chaos of their lives, this trio learns to let go of the past, to make room for the future and the uncertainty and promise that it holds. The Ramblers is a love letter to New York City—an accomplished, sumptuous novel about fate, loss, hope, birds, friendship, love, the wonders of the natural world and the mysteries of the human spirit.

my thoughts:

I love stories set in Paris and NYC - they are my favorite.  So, when I heard about The Ramblers being a love story to NYC, I just had to read it.  However, once I picked the book up, I just couldn't get through it.  Yep, I had to DNF The Ramblers.

NYC is all around and I did enjoy that aspect of the story, but that was all I enjoyed.  This is the story of Clio, Smith, and Tate.  Clio is the one who comes from a humble background and worked hard to make a great living as a bird lover - she's an ornithologist whose just found love.  Her boyfriend is an older man who makes a living as a hotelier.  He wants to move their relationship to the next level, but that is something that Clio is not sure she can handle. Especially, as she has yet to tell him about her past.  Smith is Clio's BFF.  They are still roommates, long after college has ended.  Smith comes from money, but has chosen a path that is not considered blue-blooded enough in her family's eyes.  Smith is an organizational expert - she's been on the Today and Good Morning America espousing the virtues of decluttering.  Her heart is still broken from when her fiance dumped her.  She's a bit of a mess.  Tate is a friend from college. He's just moved back to NYC and has re-entered their lives.  He's a bit obnoxious and encourages bad behavior.  Overall, this trio makes for a rather stereotypical and predictable cast. I found myself rather annoyed by all three and didn't care to get to know them any better.  Definitely not a book for me.

Of course, I don't want to dissuade anyone from picking up The Ramblers, since I didn't actually read the entire book.  Plus, other bloggers seem to really enjoy it.  So, here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Ramblers
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry to see this didn't work for you.

Nadia said...

Kathy, thanks! Some books just aren't for everyone, right?

Lark said...

Sorry this one wasn't better...but good for you for not finishing a book that wasn't working for you. Life's too short to waste on disappointing reads! (It does have a great cover, though, doesn't it?)

Nadia said...

Lark, thanks! I always try to give books a fair shake, but this one just wasn't for me. I figure why spend my time reading a book I don't like when I can be reading one I do like. So, I agree with you - don't waste time on disappointing reads :) I do love the cover, too.

Ti said...

Oh no!! Everyone is talking about this book right now! I am about to start it. It will be interesting because you and I have such similar tastes.

Nadia said...

Ti, you will probably love it. For some reason, I just couldn't engage with it. Let me know what you think :)

techeditor said...

Thanks for the honesty. You do your users a favor, which is how all book blogs should be.

Nadia said...

techeditor, thanks so much!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Not every book is the right fit for every reader. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour!

Nadia said...

Heather, so true. Oh well. Thanks for having me on the tour!

Laurie C said...

Oh, I just read two rave reviews of this one and it sounded like a good one for me! I'll give it a chance, and we'll see!

Nadia said...

Laurie C, exactly! Give it a go - you might love it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

So sorry this was a DNF. I hope to try it but wasn't sure it would work for me either.