.

.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Queen of the Tearling: A Novel by Erika Johansen

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Magic, adventure, mystery, and romance combine in this epic debut in which a young princess must reclaim her dead mother’s throne, learn to be a ruler—and defeat the Red Queen, a powerful and malevolent sorceress determined to destroy her.

On her nineteenth birthday, Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn, raised in exile, sets out on a perilous journey back to the castle of her birth to ascend her rightful throne. Plain and serious, a girl who loves books and learning, Kelsea bears little resemblance to her mother, the vain and frivolous Queen Elyssa. But though she may be inexperienced and sheltered, Kelsea is not defenseless: Around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power; and accompanying her is the Queen’s Guard, a cadre of brave knights led by the enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus. Kelsea will need them all to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon—from crimson-caped assassins to the darkest blood magic—to prevent her from wearing the crown.

Despite her royal blood, Kelsea feels like nothing so much as an insecure girl, a child called upon to lead a people and a kingdom about which she knows almost nothing. But what she discovers in the capital will change everything, confronting her with horrors she never imagined. An act of singular daring will throw Kelsea’s kingdom into tumult, unleashing the vengeance of the tyrannical ruler of neighboring Mortmesne: the Red Queen, a sorceress possessed of the darkest magic. Now Kelsea will begin to discover whom among the servants, aristocracy, and her own guard she can trust.

But the quest to save her kingdom and meet her destiny has only just begun—a wondrous journey of self-discovery and a trial by fire that will make her a legend . . . if she can survive.

my thoughts:

Fantasy fiction is my new jam - whoa Nelly! I just finished reading the epic and excellent The Queen of the Tearling, the first book in the super popular trilogy by Erika Johansen.  I'd seen this book around and had heard nothing but awesome things about it, but for some reason I didn't pick it up.  Say what!? I know!  What was I thinking?!  Anyhow, I'm just glad that I finally read this amazing book, because I get why everyone was raving about it. Plus, I get to experience for myself.  I have The Invasion of the Tearling and The Fate of the Tearling to look forward to now - talk about perfect Fall reads!!  I can't wait!!

So, what did I love about this book?  Try, everything!  I'm serious.  The Queen of the Tearling is a fast-paced adventure filled with magic, political upheaval, and a captivating story.  Kelsea is nineteen.  She's heading home to take her rightful place at the throne after being kept hidden away for so long.  Following her mother's death, Kelsea's safety was imperative and thanks to two devoted servants she was raised to love books and learning.  But now, she must return to a home and place she has never really known.  She must assert her power over her kingdom and she must battle those who wish her gone.  It will be a dark and dangerous time for Kelsea, but with her intellect, quick wit, and inner strength she will succeed.  I just loved reading about this modest and bookish young lady turn into such a powerhouse.  It was awesome!

Johnasen has created a fantastic world in with these characters and the kingdom of Tear.  The writing is top notch and filled with such strong and vivid imagery.  She doesn't shy away from tackling heavy issues such as religion and politics within this world.  And the magical element of the story was fascinating and exciting. Talk about an unputdownable read! I can't wait to find out what happens next to Kelsea and the kingdom of Tear.

I would happily recommend The Queen of the Tearling to fans of fantasy fiction and anyone looking for their next great read(s) - you will LOVE this trilogy!!  I've only read the first book, but I just know I'm going to love the next two - they are that damn good. 

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Queen of the Tearling
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

4 comments:

Brandie said...

Fantastic review, Nadia!! I wasn't sure about this one, but you've convinced me to try it!

Lark said...

You've got me adding this book to the list of books I want to read over Christmas...a list already so long I'd need at least three Christmasses to finish all the books on it. :D But how can I resist this book after reading your review?

Micro SD Card Recovery Service said...

I read a lot of fantasy, especially young adult fantasy, as a middle school librarian. This book head good characters on unusual twist to the backstory, and I appreciate that the main character didn't take forever to start gaining confidence in herself.

bermudaonion said...

My sister loves this series!