.

.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A Death By Any Other Name: A Mystery by Tessa Arlen

http://www.tessaarlen.com/

about book: (blurb from NetGalley)


my thoughts:

As a Downton Abbey fan, I was excited when I was offered the chance to review Tessa Arlen's latest novel in her popular, Lady Montfort Mystery Series.  Apparently, if you love DA, then you will love these books.  How could I resist, right?

I grabbed my kindle, a huge cuppa, and settled down in a comfy spot.  I wound up spending my whole morning reading this book - I just could not put it down! The story was addictive, exciting, entertaining, and such a delight to read. I simply had to finish it, so I could find out 'whodunit'.  So, I read, read, and read some more.  And let me just say - I absolutely enjoyed every minute I spent with A Death By Any Other Name!!

The third book in the series, A Death By Any Other Name, takes place in the days leading up to the start of WWI in Great Britain.  A murder has been committed at Hyde Castle and the cook is to blame.  Well, technically the fish dinner is to blame. Anyhow, she's been fired and is desperate to clear her name.  So, who's she going to call? Lady Montfort and Mrs. Jackson!  She just knows this sleuthing duo can figure out who the real murderer is.  However, in order to wrangle an invitation to Hyde Castle, Montfort must feign interest in joining the Hyde Rose Society.  Why?  Well, it turns out that within this floral loving gang the guilty party resides.  Yep, it isn't all red roses at Hyde Castle.

With the help of her trusty companion, Montfort and Jackson get to getting.  Soon they are up to their eyeballs in rose bulbs and thorns as they try to observe and query the people around them.  As Montfort's companion, Jackson gets an inside track on all of the staff working at Hyde Castle.  The deeper they dig, the more information they gather - all of which leads to red herrings, twists and turns, and plenty of drama.  And news of the impending war only manages to add a new level of stress to the situation.  Of course, through a bit of trickery, the women do manage to obtain a confession and the real murderer is revealed.

Talk about a cozy mystery at its best! I absolutely LOVED A Death By Any Other Name. The characters were terrific - I enjoyed getting to know Clementine and Edith (Lady Montfort and Mrs. Jackson).  They are smart, determined, and resourceful women who get the job done!  The story was so much fun to get lost in - England, a castle, roses galore, and trying to puzzle out 'whodunit'.  Seriously, what more could I ask for in a book!?  And the writing was top notch.  You couldn't help but get caught up in the drama and suspense - making for one thrilling read. Tessa Arlen has created a wonderful series that I just can't wait read more of.  I plan on reading the first two books (Death Of A Dishonorable Gentleman and Death Sits Down to Dinner) in the series ASAP, and then re-reading this third one right after.  I'm already looking forward to the fourth book!

I would most definitely recommend A Death By Any Other Name to fans of Arlen's books and fans of mystery novels - you will LOVE this book to bits!!



Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!

No comments: