.

.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Austen Escape: A Novel by Katherine Reay

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Love Jane Austen? Then you’ll adore The Austen Escape.

Falling into the past will change their futures forever.

Mary Davies finds safety in her ordered and productive life. Working as an engineer, she genuinely enjoys her job and her colleagues – particularly a certain adorable and intelligent consultant. But something is missing. When Mary’s estranged childhood friend, Isabel Dwyer offers her a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in England, she reluctantly agrees in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in just the right ways.
 
But Mary gets more than she bargained for when Isabel loses her memory and fully believes she lives in Jane Austen’s Bath. While Isabel rests and delights in the leisure of a Regency lady, attended by the other costume-clad guests, Mary uncovers startling truths about their shared past, who Isabel was, who she seems to be, and the man who now stands between them.

Outings are undertaken, misunderstandings play out, and dancing ensues as this company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation, work out their lives and hearts.

my thoughts:

I am a huge fan of Katherine Reay's novels - The Bronte Plot is a favorite! So, I was super excited to have the opportunity to read her latest book, The Austen Escape. I just knew that I would be in for a treat, especially as the book would be Austen-centric.  And I do love me some Jane Austen.

Mary's life is pretty good. She enjoys her job as an engineer. She has friends. She has a crush. And she likes living in Austin, TX. Except, something seems to be missing and she just doesn't know what.  An old friend from childhood named Isabel proposes a trip to England.  Two weeks on an estate - what more could she want, right? Did I mention that the estate is Jane Austen obsessed - as in, its a retreat where you get to experience life as if you were in a Jane Austen novel.  How fun does that sound? Well, it would be a hoot, if Isabel didn't lose her memory.  Yep, Isabel experiences some sort of medical mishap that has her believing she is actually living in a Jane Austen novel - like, she believes that is her real life and identity.  Talk about Mary having her hands full, eh?  Instead of enjoying a two week vacation, she is now tasked with taking care of an estranged friend in a house full of strangers in another country - Whoa, Nelly!?

The Austen Escape is chock full of delightful surprises: a bit of mystery, some romantic entanglements, and infused with Austen references throughout. Its truly a fun read!  I found it to be the perfect book to escape into on a rainy day.  I just loved getting lost in Mary and Isabel's story - friendship can definitely be complicated and dramatic at times.  Plus, reading about England was pure bliss for me - I love all things British!!

I would happily recommend this book to fans of Reay and anyone looking for their next great read - you will fall in LOVE with The Austen Escape!!

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Austen Escape
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

5 comments:

Lark said...

That's a unique plot twist! What a fun read. Will have to look for this book at my library. :)

Nadia said...

Lark, I know. I thought it was such a treat to read. Definitely check it out - I think you'll enjoy it :)

Vintage Reading said...

You've sold it to me! I'm a sucker for anything Austen and this sounds good - I like the fact that the heroine is an engineer.

Nadia said...

Nicola, you will enjoy this so much! Such a fun read :) All of Reay's books are like this - true delights. And I know what you mean - I like that she writes strong women :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm so looking forward to reading this one - I love Jane Austen!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.