.

.

Thursday, December 5, 2019

The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride & Prejudice Novel by Molly Greeley

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

For everyone who loved Pride and Prejudice—and legions of historical fiction lovers—an inspired debut novel set in Austen’s world.


Charlotte Collins, nee Lucas, is the respectable wife of Hunsford’s vicar, and sees to her duties by rote: keeping house, caring for their adorable daughter, visiting parishioners, and patiently tolerating the lectures of her awkward husband and his condescending patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh. Intelligent, pragmatic, and anxious to escape the shame of spinsterhood, Charlotte chose this life, an inevitable one so socially acceptable that its quietness threatens to overwhelm her. Then she makes the acquaintance of Mr. Travis, a local farmer and tenant of Lady Catherine...

In Mr. Travis’ company, Charlotte feels appreciated, heard, and seen. For the first time in her life, Charlotte begins to understand emotional intimacy and its effect on the heart—and how breakable that heart can be. With her sensible nature confronted, and her own future about to take a turn, Charlotte must now question the role of love and passion in a woman’s life, and whether they truly matter for a clergyman’s wife.

my thoughts:

As a huge fan of Austen's beloved novel, Pride & Prejudice, I was thrilled to be holding a copy of Molly Greeley's book, The Clergyman's Wife.  I am a huge fan of books that are inspired by Austen or actually retell Austen's stories, characters - I find these types of stories to be such treats to read. So, I was thrilled to dive into Greeley's book about Charlotte and Mr. Collins. I wanted to find out what happened to this couple and how happily ever after they really were. Was Mr. Collins as odious as we had always thought, or had marriage changed him? Did married life truly supply Charlotte with more than just security?  After all, isn't that why Charlotte married Mr. Collins - to have a life that would afford her stability?

In this amazing debut novel, we get to know Charlotte and learn about why she made the choices she did. Its fascinating and provides a deeper look into her character, which helps us to better understand her motives. As for Mr. Collins, well, he is definitely who we think he is, except, there are moments when we see him through Charlotte's eyes and are able to catch glimpses of his true self.  Its definitely an interesting story to read about these two and their life together. I also enjoyed meeting Mr. Travis and Mrs. Fitzgibbon - two lovely additions to Charlotte's world that helped her to find friendship and a sort of companionship that she really needed. It was truly sweet to read.  Plus, did I mention that we get to meet up with Lizzy and Mr. Darcy a few times in the story and I just LOVED it.  Talk about a fun and engaging reading experience!!

I would happily recommend The Clergyman's Wife to fans of Austen and anyone looking for their next great read - you will LOVE this book!!

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Clergyman's Wife
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!


5 comments:

Lark said...

I always struggle a bit with books other authors write about Jane Austen's beloved characters just because they're such favorites of mine and I don't always agree with the way other people choose to portray them. I'm really glad you liked this one. Maybe I'll give it a try. :)

bermudaonion said...

I know a lot of people who would love this book!

Sara Strand said...

I'm so glad you loved this one! Thank you for being on this tour. Sara @ TLC Book Tours

Savvy Verse & Wit said...

this one interests me. I like the idea of learning about their marriage and if Mr. Collins changes, though I doubt it.

Terra said...

This book interests me as I would like to know more about these characters and the new ones too. I would hope their marriage changes for the better, the marriage sounds so sad and dull.