.

.

Friday, April 30, 2021

Runaway Train by Lee Matthew Goldberg

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
 

about book:

They told me I was an out-of-control train about to crash…

Everything changed when the police officer knocked on the door to tell me – a 16-year-old – that my older sister Kristen had died of a brain aneurysm. Cue the start of my parents neglecting me and my whole life spiraling out of control.

I decided now was the perfect time to skip town. It’s the early 90’s, Kurt Cobain runs the grunge music scene and I just experienced some serious trauma. What’s a girl supposed to do? I didn’t want to end up like Kristen, so I grabbed my bucket list, turned up my mixtape of the greatest 90’s hits and fled L.A.. The goal was to end up at Kurt Cobain’s house in Seattle, but I never could have guessed what would happen along the way.

At turns heartbreaking, inspiring, and laugh out loud funny, Runaway Train is a wild journey of a bygone era and a portrait of a one-of-a-kind teenage girl trying to find herself again the only way she knows how.

my thoughts:

Love, love, love! This book was fantastic. I absolutely LOVED all of the 90s references and getting caught up in Nico's story.  It was such a treat to read Runaway Train by Lee Matthew Goldberg. 

Nico's older sister Kristen dies suddenly.  Her parents favored her older sister, she was the "perfect" daughter.  Nico is left with all of these emotions and so she turns to her favorite music - Nirvana, anyone? Deciding that she will not wind up dead like her sister, Nico decides to head to Seattle, home of her idol, Kurt Cobain.  She has a bucket list and determination, so off she goes. Of course, a road trip like that begs for the unexpected to happen along the way.  And let me just say, reading all about Nico's journey was amazing - her road trip was not just about dealing with the grief of losing her sister, but also of discovering who she really is and wants to be. Runaway Train is an emotional and engaging story that will have you laughing out loud, crying, and smiling as you hum along to the 90s soundtrack playing throughout the story. Such a great read!

I would happily recommend Runaway Train to anyone looking for their next great read - you will LOVE this book to bits!


Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: Runaway Train


Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

2 comments:

Sara Strand said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! Sara @ TLC Book Tours

Lark said...

Road trips and bucket lists! Two things I love reading about. :)