.

.

Monday, April 5, 2021

The Last Bookshop In London: A Novel of World War II by Madeline Martin

(Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!)
 

about book:

Inspired by the true World War II history of the only bookshop to survive the Blitz, a sweeping story of wartime loss, romance, and the enduring power of literature, perfect for fans of The Paris Wife and The Lilac Girls


London, autumn 1940: the Blitz has only just begun when Grace Bennett arrives in London to find the city she’s spent a lifetime dreaming about now cast in the clouds of war, and all of her plans unraveling at the seams. After accepting a job at a charming bookshop nestled in the heart of the city, a haven for literary-minded locals, she feels like a fish out of water – she’s never been much of a reader, after all.


As the bombs rain down on the city night after night, a devastating air raid leaves London’s literary center in ruins, and the libraries and shops of Paternoster Row are destroyed in a firestorm. But against all odds, one bookshop miraculously survives. Through blackouts and air raids, Grace continues staffing the shop, discovering a newfound comfort in the power of words and storytelling to unite her community in ways she never imagined, a power that triumphs even the darkest nights of war-torn London.

my thoughts:

Wow! What a story! I absolutely LOVED The Last Bookshop In London - it was fantastic!

First off, a title with the word 'Bookshop' in it - how could I resist? Secondly, the story is set in London - how can I not read a story set in London? And third, combine 'bookshop' and London - how can I not read a book with both of those words in the title? Suffice it to say, I gobbled this book up as soon as I got my hands on it. Oh, and did I mention that I enjoyed every second spent with this story? Because, I did!

The Last Bookshop In London is such a great story. The historical aspects are vividly detailed.  The characters are fascinating and show just how resilient Brits can be.  And the story itself, is captivating. You can't help but be swept away to London during the Blitz and navigating bookshop life with Grace - this story makes for such a treat. I just LOVED getting to know everyone and reading about Grace, a non-reader, discovering the magic of books. It was fun and emotional, getting to see Grace using books to help her community during this terrifying time in history. 

I would happily recommend The Last Bookshop In London to anyone and everyone looking for their next great read - you won't want to miss out!


Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

1 comment:

Lark said...

I so want to read this one! Of course, I always want to read any book about a bookshop. ;D