.

.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

A Revolver To Carry At Night: A Novel by Monika Zgustova

(Thank you to Other Press for providing me with a copy of this book!)
 

about book:

A captivating, nuanced portrait of the life of Véra Nabokov, who dedicated herself to advancing her husband’s writing career, playing a vital role in the creation of his greatest works.

Véra Nabokov (1902–1991) was in many ways the epitome of the wife of a great keenly aware of her husband’s extraordinary talent, she decided to make his success her ultimate goal, throughout fifty-two years of marriage until his death in 1977. The first reader of his texts, Véra worked as typist and editor. She organized their lives in exile, as they traveled to Berlin, Paris, Switzerland, and, most importantly, the US, where she convinced Vladimir to focus on writing novels in English. She not only controlled the family’s finances and contract negotiations, but also attempted to control his friendships—particularly with women—going so far as to audit his classes.

In a rich, sweeping novel, Monika Zgustova immerses us in the daily life of this remarkable couple, offering insights into their complex personal and professional relationships. Véra considered herself an independent woman, but was she really, when her husband took up so much space? And without Véra, could Nabokov have become one of the twentieth century’s greatest writers?

my thoughts:

Vera and Vladimir Nabokov were quite an interesting couple and this slim novel gives us an inside look into their marriage.  Not only do we get insight into their relationship, but we also find out the integral role Vera played in Vladimir's professional life. Talk about a fascinating story! I loved getting to know Vera - she was a force to be reckoned with. 

What I loved about this book:

1. The title piqued my interest: A Revolver To Carry At Night. Hmm...makes you wonder what exactly does it mean - like, is it literal or figurative?

2. Book's cover. I love the photo. The fashion. Their demeanor. The looks on their faces. All of it. Makes me want to know their story. 

3. The subject matter - Vera and Vladimir Nabokov. All I knew was that he wrote Lolita. I had not clue about his wife or anything about their marriage. So, I was definitely interested to find out. I do love biographies, but I also love historical fiction. And, this novel is historical fiction at its very best!

4. The writing. Top notch! I love the way it grabs you right from the start and keeps you reading late into the night. Yes, it's a slim novel, but I took my time with it, so that made staying up late a must. I really enjoyed the way Zgustova captured this couple's life together and chose to zero in on Vera - the wife who was behind everything. I mean it, Vera did it all - she was in charge of every aspect of their life and her husband's professional life. It was so fascinating to read about. 

5. A book that made me want to read more. I always love it when a book does that. Books that inspire more reading are always the best reads. 

Make sure to pick up a copy of this gem - you are going to LOVE it!




Thank you to the Other Press for providing me with a copy of this book!

No comments: