.

.

Monday, March 14, 2011

So Close the Hand of Death by J. T. Ellison

From back of book:

TALENT BORROWS.  GENIUS STEALS. EVIL DELEGATES.
It's a hideous echo of a violent past.  Across America, murders are being committed with all the twisted hallmarks of the Boston Strangler, the Zodiac Killer and Son of Sam.  The media frenzy explodes and Nashville lieutenant Taylor Jackson knows instantly that the Pretender is back...and he's got helpers.

As the Pretender's disciples perpetrate their sick homages - stretching police and the FBI dangerously thin - Taylor tries desperately to prepare for their inevitable showdown.  And she must do it alone.  To be close to her is to be in motal danger, and she won't risk losing anyone she loves.  But the isolation, the self-doubt and the rising body count are taking their toll - she's tripwire tense and ready to snap.

The brilliant psychopath who both adores and despises her is drawing close.  Close enough to touch...

My thoughts:

This is your basic crime thriller filled with suspense and nail-biting scenes.  I don't usually read these types of books (truthfully, I'm not even sure why), but I wanted something different to read and so I agreed to read Ellison's book.  Let me just say that I'm glad I read it - not only did I enjoy reading this book, but it also pushed me to consider reading more books in this genre (books that I would usually consider fluff, beach/airport reads).  I enjoyed the quick pace of the story and the casual way it trapped you into a world of cops, crime bloggers and secrets - a world that is scary, but captivating.  I was immediately taken in with the characters of Taylor and Baldwin - I wanted to find out what would happen to them and their relationship as they found themselves being pushed further and further along in their search for the Pretender.  The writing was solid and the plot was interesting.  There were some predictable revelations in the book, but there were also plenty of twists along the way that kept me on my toes.  Overall, it was a satisfying read.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading crime thrillers (think James Patterson).

3 comments:

Michelle V said...

I love books like this! I'll keep this one in mind! Great review.

Blessings
Michelle V

Wallace said...

I'm horrible with thrillers (even though I am reading one right now... makes no sense I know) because I am such a scaredy-cat. But this does look interesting.

Nadia said...

Michelle V - thanks! Its one of those books that is great to read whilst on vacation.

Wallace - it was interesting for me to read, because I don't normally read those types of books. I get creeped out, too -luckily with this one I didn't.