.

.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tales From Lovecraft Middle School #2: The Slither Sisters

about book:

LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!  Sarah and Sylvia Price may resemble ordinary middle school students, but they're actually hideous monsters in disguise.  Even worse, they're campaigning for student council, with a secret plan for abducting the entire seventh grade!  The only ones brave enough to stop them are twelve-year-old Robert Arthur and his best friends: the school bully, the school ghost, and a very hungry two-headed rat.

This second novel of the Lovecraft Middle School series begins right where Professor Gargoyle ended - with more action, more adventure, and more outrageous monsters!

my thoughts:

Gilman has done it again!  He's written another excellent story in his YA series, Tales From Lovecraft Middle School.  You know the series I'm referring to - the one that I am hooked on!! If you didn't know that, then please check out my post on Book #1 from the series titled Professor Gargoyle  and find out why.  As for The Slither Sisters, well, let's just say that Gilman upped the ante and wrote an even more unputdownable book than the first one.

The second book reunites us with Robert, Glenn, Karina and Pip and Squeak.  This time round they'll be making new friends and fighting old enemies.  Plus, we get to learn the history that enshrouds Lovecraft Middle School and its inhabitants.  Oh, and did I mention there's a school election to win and a school dance to attend - yep, middle school is getting a lot more complicated.

Now, I don't want to tell you exactly what happens, so I'm just going to provide you with a few tidbits.  There's an underwater gate; an evil brother; a lighthouse keeper who captures Cthulhu (tiny sea monsters); a librarian being held hostage; and dark and twisty plan to take over the students at Lovecraft Middle School.  Sounds, pretty exciting, eh? Well, it is!  This book was as captivating as the first one, and had me reading non-stop during my lunch break at work - in fact, I was ten minutes late, because I just had find out what happened at the end.

Suffice it to say, the writing is top notch and the characters are even more interesting.  I enjoyed all the new story lines, but especially loved reading about Robert and his middle school insecurities - they just made him even more relatable and likeable.  Because, who hasn't ever worried about looking silly in front of their classmates; or worried that they weren't growing up as fast as their friends (height, muscles, physical strength); and wondered what to do when they realize they have a huge crush on someone?  Seriously, these middle school experiences are what ground the Lovecraft stories and make the supernatural elements in the books even more fantastical and fun to read about. 

I would most definitely recommend this series to all fans of YA fiction - you will not be disappointed!  Oh, and just so you know, Book #3, Teacher's Pest comes out this summer - I can't wait!

Thanks so much to Eric Smith from Quirk Books for providing me with a copy of this fantastic read!

2 comments:

jmisgro said...

I got the 1st book for my daughter for christmas but I will probably take it and read before she gets around to it!!

Nadia said...

You will enjoy it! Such a good read and a great series for kids ;)