.

.

Friday, August 30, 2013

The Best of Daughters by Dilly Court

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Despite her privileged upbringing, Daisy Lennox has always longed to make something of her life.

She is drawn to the suffragette movement, but when her father faces ruin they are forced to move to the country and Daisy’s first duty is to her family.

Here she becomes engaged to her childhood friend – a union both families have dreamed of.

But, on the eve of their wedding, war is declared, and Daisy knows her life will never be the same again…

my thoughts:

After reading some horribly grim novels, I found myself in need of something light and frothy.  So, I had a quick drink and then dove right in to Dilly Court's novel, The Best of Daughters.  Let me just say, I'm so happy I did.  This book was a delight to read and one that I'd happily recommend to fans to of women's fiction.

I truly did enjoy getting to know Daisy Lennox and her family as they endure one drama after another.  This is a family that has enjoyed a privileged lifestyle for quite some time and are used to rubbing shoulders with the posh toffs of London.  Teas, parties, shopping, and husband-hunting are all on Daisy's agenda - or at least they should be according to her mum.  However, Daisy is not interested in that sort of life and instead joins the local suffragettes in town.  She attends protests and even befriends some of the women - all in secret, of course.  Except, one of the protests turns rather riotous and the next thing you know, Daisy is in the clink alongside her new friends.  Luckily, her brother's best friend, Rupert, bails her out and promises to keep her secret until she is ready to face her family.  Oh, but wait, Daisy's indiscretion takes a backseat to the MAJOR drama unfolding at home - turns out her father's business partner has run off with all their money.  YIKES!!  Looks like the Lennox family is no longer going to enjoy a life of privilege.

Once they are settled in their country home, Rainbows End, Daisy and her family begin to make a life for themselves.  Her father and brother have started a new business in town, her sister is out at the farm next door lending a helping hand, her mother is whingeing non-stop about their life of poverty, and Daisy herself is managing the household by cooking and cleaning.  Yep, life for the Lennox family is definitely a lot different than it used to be.  However, Daisy enjoys her new life in the country - she likes cooking for her family and enjoys all the time she gets to spend with Rupert.  Of course, life can't be without some drama, so of course, unrequited love rears its ugly head, along with scandal after scandal.  Plus, the war shows up and no one is ever the same - especially, Daisy and Rupert.  And, that is all I will write about the story - I don't want to give away any spoilers!  I will just mention that a lot happens - so many twists and turns that I did and did not see coming.  I loved it all!

Dilly Court has written a fun and engaging novel that will have you flipping pages faster than you can say 'clotted cream'.  The descriptions of the city, country, and livelihood of these fascinating characters makes for quite an interesting read.  I couldn't help but caught up in all of the romantic and societal dramas that occur within the story.  Plus, I loved reading about this young woman coming into her own and discovering her strengths and desires - Daisy Lennox definitely figures it out in the end.  The only quibble I have with the story is the unnecessary number of pages describing Daisy's mindset or the surrounding setting or events - it just went on and on for ages sometimes, that I simply skimmed ahead to the dialogue.  Aside from that one annoyance (which was really minor), I really loved reading The Best of Daughters.

Check out what other bloggers are saying about Dilly Court's novels: The Best of Daughters and The Lady's Maid
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this novel!

2 comments:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

"Dilly Court has written a fun and engaging novel that will have you flipping pages faster than you can say 'clotted cream'." HA! I love that description!

Thanks for being on the tour.

Nadia said...

Heather, thanks for having me on the tour! I was pleasantly surprised by this one :)