.

.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Murder in Pigalle: An Aimee Leduc Investigation Set in Paris by Cara Black

(Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

June, 1998: Paris's sticky summer heat is even more oppressive than usual as rowdy French football fans riot in anticipation of the World Cup.  Private Investigator Aimee Leduc has been trying to slow down her hectic lifestyle - she's five months pregnant and has the baby's well-being to think about now.

Then disaster strikes close to home.  A serial rapist has been terrorizing Paris's Pigalle neighborhood, following teenage girls home and attacking them in their own houses.  It is sad and frightening but has nothing to do with Aimee- until Zazie, the 13-year-old daughter of the proprietor of Aimee's favorite cafe, disappears.  The police aren't mobilizing quickly enough, and when Zazie's desperate parents approach Aimee for help, she knows she couldn't say no even if she wanted to.

my thoughts:

I've never read any of Cara Black's mysteries featuring Aimee Leduc, so I have to admit that I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I knew there would be a mystery, some danger, and a rather fashionable detective at the forefront of the story, but that was it.  So, it was a pleasant surprise to find myself easily caught up in all things Paris and the life of Aimee Leduc.

Five months pregnant, Aimee is dealing with the hot summer weather enshrouding Paris.  She's trying to get her life settled into a much slower pace since her baby will be born in a few months time.  Of course, danger strikes in Aimee's backyard - well, actually, its her favorite cafe that gets struck.  Her little assistant, Zazie, has gone missing.  The idea that this child has been taken is scary enough, but combine that with the fact that there is a serial rapist on the loose attacking schoolgirls - well, it does not look so good for Zazie.  Her parents are frantic and feel that the police are of no help, so they implore Aimee for help.  They are convinced that she can find their beloved little girl.   What's Aimee to do, but say yes.  The heat is on and Aimee is out to get her man and bring Zazie safely home!

Talk about an exciting, suspense-filled mystery! Filled with vivid descriptions of Paris and fast-paced action, Murder in Pigalle, is a terrific book to spend the weekend with.  I know that I loved dipping in and out of it during these past few scorching hot afternoons.  I had an iced cold drink, a comfy chair, chilly A/C, and Cara Black's words to get lost in - talk about a perfect afternoon!

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of Cara Black's, Aimee Leduc series, and to fans of suspense/thriller mysteries - you will love this book!


Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book!


2 comments:

Brandie said...

Great review, Nadia! I have never heard of this author, but I'm always looking for a good suspense/mystery. Thanks!

Nadia said...

Brandie, thanks! I hadn't heard of this author either, but when I was provided with the opportunity to give her work a read I went for it. I'm so glad that I did :)