.

.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Bird, came down the Walk by Emily Dickinson

A Bird, came down the Walk - (359)

By Emily Dickinson

 
A Bird, came down the Walk - 
He did not know I saw -
He bit an Angle Worm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw,

And then, he drank a Dew
From a convenient Grass -
And then hopped sidewise to the Wall
To let a Beetle pass -

He glanced with rapid eyes,
That hurried all abroad -
They looked like frightened Beads, I thought,
He stirred his Velvet Head. -

Like one in danger, Cautious,
I offered him a Crumb,
And he unrolled his feathers, 
And rowed him softer Home -

Than Oars divide the Ocean,
Too silver for a seam,
Or Butterflies, off Banks of Noon,
Leap, plashless as they swim. 



Source: The Poems of Emily Dickinson: Reading Edition, edited by R.W. Franklin (Harvard University Press, 1999) 
 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Lovely!

Bellezza said...

Oh, you remind me of how I should read more poetry, and this poem is a delight! A dear friend in college gave me a collection of Emily Dickenson poems; hers and Robert Frost's are the few that I can seem to grasp. ;)