.

.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Ex: A Novel by Alafair Burke

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

Twenty years ago she ruined his life.
Now she has the chance to save it.

In this breakout novel of suspense in the vein of Luckiest Girl Alive and The Girl on the Train, a woman agrees to help an old boyfriend who has been framed for murder—but begins to suspect that she is the one being manipulated.

Widower Jack Harris has resisted the dating scene ever since the shooting of his wife, Molly, by a fifteen-year-old boy three years ago. An early morning run along the Hudson River changes that, when he spots a woman in last night’s party dress, barefoot, enjoying a champagne picnic alone, reading his favorite novel. Everything about her reminds him of what he used to have with Molly. Eager to help Jack find love again, his best friend posts a message on a popular website after he mentions the encounter. Days later, that same beautiful stranger responds and invites Jack to meet her in person at the waterfront. That’s when Jack’s world falls apart.

Olivia Randall is one of New York City’s best criminal defense lawyers. When she hears that her former fiancĂ©, Jack Harris, has been arrested for a triple homicide—and that one of the victims was connected to his wife’s murder—there is no doubt in her mind as to his innocence. The only question is, who would go to such great lengths to frame him—and why?

For Olivia, representing Jack is a way to make up for past regrets and absolve herself of guilt from a tragic decision, a secret she has held for twenty years. But as the evidence against him mounts, she is forced to confront her doubts. The man she knew could not have done this. But what if she never really knew him?

my thoughts:

As a huge fan of Alafair Burke's novels, I was super excited to read her latest, The Ex.  I knew I would be in for an unputdownable read that would be filled with mystery, intrigue, suspense, drama, and so much more.  Lo and behold, I got what I wanted - a terrific new story that kept me up all night!

Liv is a defense attorney who works hard, enjoys a good drink, and doesn't tolerate fools.  Her only weakness is the massive guilt she feels about a very bad breakup that happened twenty years ago.  She blames herself for the breakup and the fall out following the breakup - think infidelity, a death and a psych ward.  Anyhow, that's the past and she's tried to move on.  Until she gets a call from a young girl demanding that Liv help her father - according to the girl, Liv owes him after what she did to him.  Assuming it will be a quick trip to the police station, Liv is shocked to discover that Jack has been accused of a triple homicide - talk about having her work cut out for her.  Consumed by guilt, she immediately agrees to help him.  After all, he's innocent, right?  There's no way that her Jack could ever have killed anyone - even if one of the victims happens to be the father of the teenager who killed Jack's wife.  Hmm....coincidence?  Well, Liv is convinced that Jack is being framed and she's determined to find out why and by whom.  Of course, as more details emerge about the day in question, the people involved, and Jack's past, Liv finds her faith in Jack faltering.  In fact, she's staring to wonder if she ever really knew Jack. 

Talk about an intriguing read!  I absolutely loved the way Burke slowly revealed information about Liv and Jack's relationship, the day of the shooting and Penn Station Massacre, and what happened to Jack after that night he left and never came back.  So many twists and turns had me flipping pages faster than normal - I just had to find out what really happened and who was behind it all.  The Ex was such a riveting read.

I would happily recommend this novel to fans of Alafair Burke and fans of suspense stories - you will LOVE this book!!

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Ex
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

7 comments:

Brandie said...

Well, I received this ARC, but I wasn't convinced yet that I wanted to read it (although I do love the cover). I've yet to read anything by this author, which I know is terrible as much as I love suspense! Now you have me wanting to read it!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it - thank you for sharing this!

Terra said...

Reading your review, I think I would like reading this book.

Mystica said...

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. I liked Girl on the Train and am definitely going to try to locate this book.

Bellezza said...

Oh, I want to read this! I wondered how it would come across, and in so glad to know that you liked it. A trustworthy opinion in my eyes! Off to reserve it at the library.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Yay for another fabulous read from an author you already loved! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Nadia said...

Thanks for all the comments! This really is a great book - so thrilling and suspenseful. I loved it! Hope you enjoy it, too ;)

Blogger said...

I must recommend reading the book The Girl on the Train: A Novel.
I just finished reading it today, and my conclusion is that its a really good book.

I got mine from Amazon and I got it in just 2 days.
Here's a link for the book on Amazon:
http://amzn.to/2bmQFNj