.

.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Currently reading...



I was in a bit of a reading bind - nothing was calling out to me.  And then, Murakami finally did.  Yep, his book just stared me in the face until I finally picked it up.  I don't know why I was hesitant.  I love Murakami and have devoured every book of his that I have ever read.  I love his writing that always seems to involve the strange and magical nature of people and life.  So, I was definitely prepared for what I would find within Hard-Boiled's pages...or so I thought.  Yeah, this book is weird and I honestly don't know where he is going with it, yet.  It feels like two totally different stories being told at the same time. In Hard-Boiled Wonderland we meet a Calcutec who has just met a scientist who can remove sound - how crazy is that?  And, in The End of the World, we have met someone who has just come to the Town, a place where he must give up his shadow and read Old Dreams.  Oh, and did I mention the unicorns?  Yep, there are unicorns!  How cool is that? I'm pretty sure that is the connection to both stories - plus, I think the Calcutec and the new guy in the Town are one and the same.  I have so many thoughts on this book right now - I can't wait to find out if I'm right about any.  Talk about a mesmerizing read! 

And now, I'm off to continue reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World. 

7 comments:

Ti said...

It is bizarre but in a totally good, Murakami way. I always read his books to clear my mind. Which is so odd because if anything, you'd think my brain would go into overload piecing it together but I've learned over the years that his books don't always make sense and that's okay.

Nadia said...

Ti, bizarre is the word for this book! And I know what you mean, his books always seem to help me make sense of things even if they don't make any sense :)

Lark said...

Murakami is awesome. I have not read either of these, but I want to. :)

Nadia said...

Lark, he really is :) Definitely check it out - so good!!

Lisa said...

I'm jonesing for some more Murakami - this one sounds perfectly weird and wonderful!

Emily said...

I really need to read more Murakami! I have Kafka on the Shore and The Wind up Bird Chronicle sitting on my shelves. I need to get to them soon!! Glad you're enjoying this one, it sounds like just the thing to break a reading slump.

Nadia said...

Lisa, it is! And I know what you mean - Murakami is where its at!

Emily, definitely do! Both of those are wonderful reads. I loved Kafka so much! You will love them both!!