.

.

Monday, November 14, 2016

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

(Thank you to Blogging For Books for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

The story of a girl, a boy, and the universe...

Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?

my thoughts:

Nicola Yoon's debut novel Everything, Everything was my favorite YA book of 2015.  The story was just so damn good and brought out all the feels in me, that I couldn't help but fall in love with it.  So, when I was provided with the opportunity to review her sophomore effort, The Sun Is Also A Star, I jumped at the chance. How could I not?!  I just knew that I was going to be in for a special treat.  And let me just say - I was right!  The Sun Is Also A Star is even better than Everything, Everything.  I received my book today and couldn't help but dive right into it.  I sat down with a cuppa and settled down to read a few chapters.  I wound up finishing the whole book in one sitting - I just couldn't stop reading.  I found myself falling in deeper the more I read, so I kept on reading until I turned the very last page.  Talk about reading bliss!

The Sun Is Also A Star is truly a must-read for fans of Nicola Yoon's first book, Everything, Everything and for fans of YA fiction.  I absolutely LOVED it!  The story explores first love, heartbreak, loneliness, race, destiny/fate, and so much more.  It follows Natasha and Daniel as they spend the day falling in love and sharing secrets with one another.  Its romantic, sad, sweet, exciting, and basically every feeling you can imagine when thinking about love.  We get both perspectives as the story alternates between the two; it provides us with such a rich and clear understanding of how both Natasha and Daniel view their situation and their lives.  They were such great characters to follow around NYC - funny, flawed, realistic, and relatable.  I wanted to spend even more time with long after I finished the book.  The way these two talked about science, love, connections, and family with each other was enthralling.  I loved getting to know them both.  Their story was beautiful. 

Nicola Yoon has written another amazing love story with The Sun Is Also A Star.  Its heartwarming, engaging, and entertaining.   I would happily recommend this book to anyone and everyone looking for their next great read - you will LOVE this book!!



I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review.

6 comments:

Girl About Library said...

I don't typically read YA fiction but I have heard nothing but rave reviews for this book. I enjoyed reading your review and I will definitely be adding it to my TBR!

Nadia said...

Katie, I've really gotten into YA lately. Some of the books are just so well written and tackle some pretty heavy issues. This one was excellent. I loved the romance so much. I think you'd enjoy it - definitely let me know what you think of it :)

Brandie said...

Awesome review, Nadia!! I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed this book, because it's one I really want to read. I've seen some mixed reviews and wasn't sure if it was worth reading. I haven't read her first book, either. But I'm so glad to see you loved it!

Nadia said...

Brandie, thanks! You need to read her first one - you would LOVE it!! This one is so good!! I'm really loving YA and her books are becoming my favorites :)

Click here for Skagway Shore Tours Company said...

Reading this book is like skipping all your meals for the day, and then once you start reading...you gulp and gulp, intoxicated by the loveliness of the feeling.

Yoon nailed it.

thecuecard said...

Thanks for your review. I have a copy of Yoon's new one and plan to read it soon. I liked her first one quite a bit but I didn't like the Twist about the mother -- that she essentially kept her (un-sick) daughter imprisoned all those years. Ugh that freaked me out. I couldn't reconcile it. (even if insane). My only wonder was if the whole thing was a Metaphor which would make it better to me. If as a Metaphor, she was just saying: It's better to take risks in life. You can't live your life so worried about safety that you don't Live. So I like to think of it like that instead of just one wacky mother, eh? Still I look forward to reading her new one.