.

.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Mini Reviews...

I read this one at the gym, whilst on the treadmill. It was a quick and easy read that I was able to dip in and out of. The story follows an anxiety-riddled fangirl who has run off with her pop star dreamboat.  They are hiding out in Mexico when his manager finds them. He's running from his record label - overworked and exhausted to the bone. She's running from her stalker - terrified and paranoid he's always watching her. The two make for quite a pair and as their life becomes enmeshed in his pop star fame, their relationship gets rockier by the tweet.  There's also an obsessed fan called MET, a mother who is convinced her daughter should be locked away in rehab, a police interrogation about a murder, and another pop star who ran away.  Its all a bit much, but its also a bit of fun to read.  Yes, the story gets ridiculous and I rolled my eyes one too many times, but in the end, it was just silly enough to keep my mind preoccupied while I was on the treadmill. All in all, not a bad book for the gym.

Twists and turns a plenty. I was seriously surprised by the ending that I did not see coming. Okay, I saw some of it, but not all of it. This is the story of a mother (Daphne) who belongs to a group for women who suffer from post-partum depression. She friends one of the other mothers (Laurel) and soon they are a duo who vent about their anxieties over motherhood, their crappy husbands, and the other women in their support group. Except things get out of hand at home and Daphne decides to take her baby and run.  She lands a job as an archivist for her favorite author, a reclusive woman who lives next to an insane asylum in the middle of nowhere.  Daphne is worried that her husband will find her, but soon she gets caught up in her new job and her surroundings. She doesn't even realize what is really happening to her until its too late. By this point we start to wonder if we've been reading about Daphne or Laurel - seems that both women kept diaries, but who's been telling the truth? I really did enjoy this one. I thought it was fun, creepy, and filled with enough suspense to keep me up at night. I couldn't figure out what was happening for some time and I really liked not knowing - the guessing was the best part.

Loved this book! I'm a huge fan of Burke's stories - they are always gripping and suspenseful. This new one is seriously my favorite now. I just loved getting lost in this story of infidelity, lies, murder, and betrayal.  This is the story of Angela Powell.  She's married to Jason, a celebrity in the eco-political world. Their marriage appears to be picture-perfect: good-looking couple, a smart son who attends the "right school", a big house in NYC, a fancy car, and a busy schedule filled with meetings, vacations, etc.. Except, their life is not perfect.  Especially when Jason gets accused of sexual harassment by an intern at his office. Only, she's not the only woman to come forward. The next one accuses him of rape.  Yep, looks like Jason may not be the man Angela thought she knew.  Of course, he's not the only one hiding secrets.  Apparently, Angela has a past and its not a pretty one. And that is all I will say. This book is just too good to give anything away - you have to experience all the drama, suspense, and 'whodunit' for your self. The Wife is such a great read! I absolutely LOVED it!! I can't stop thinking about it.

4 comments:

Brandie said...

Ok, The Wife sounds awesome. I've still not read anything by this author, but I think I need to!

Nadia said...

Brandie, it really was. I liked it so much. I think you'll like her work :)

Ti said...

I've got The Other Mother. I am really into books about mothers who lose it. LOL!! I don't know why. Surely it's not a reflection of myself.

Nadia said...

Ti, LOL! Most definitely not a reflection of you :) Those books are just so interesting because you know mothers losing it is the worst thing ever, so its going to be fascinating to read about it happening.