.

.

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Road Trip: A Novel by Beth O'Leary

(Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!)


about book: (summary from Goodreads)

Two exes reach a new level of awkward when forced to take a road trip together in this endearing and humorous novel by the author of the international bestseller The Flatshare.

What if the end of the road is just the beginning?

Four years ago, Dylan and Addie fell in love under the Provence sun. Wealthy Oxford student Dylan was staying at his friend Cherry's enormous French villa; wild child Addie was spending her summer as the on-site caretaker. Two years ago, their relationship officially ended. They haven't spoken since.

Today, Dylan's and Addie's lives collide again. It's the day before Cherry's wedding, and Addie and Dylan crash cars at the start of the journey there. The car Dylan was driving is wrecked, and the wedding is in rural Scotland--he'll never get there on time by public transport.

So, along with Dylan's best friend, Addie's sister, and a random guy on Facebook who needed a ride, they squeeze into a space-challenged Mini and set off across Britain. Cramped into the same space, Dylan and Addie are forced to confront the choices they made that tore them apart--and ask themselves whether that final decision was the right one after all.

my thoughts:

Wow. What an emotional read. I thought I was in for a fun and cheeky story about past love and second chances. Instead, I found myself hooked on a romance story chock full of layers, all the feels, and so much depth I needed to take a minute to let it all sink in. This story covers mental health, love, relationships, family drama, and so much more. I absolutely LOVED it to bits!

Dylan and Addie are exes - the kind that were madly in love, broke up, and never talked again.  Except, they are both attending a wedding and find themselves stuffed inside a Mini driving across England to make it in time.  They aren't alone. Nope, there's the over-protective sister, the BFF who wants them broken up, and a stranger who just needed a ride. Talk about motley crew. All I'll say is that the more we learn about Addie and Dylan, the more we begin to wonder if breaking up was the right thing to do. 

O'Leary has written a smart and fun story that will captivate you from the start. You won't help but get caught up in all the drama and fall in deep with these characters. Such a great story! I would happily recommend The Road Trip to fans of O'Leary and to anyone looking for a summer read - you will LOVE this book!



Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

2 comments:

Lark said...

I love when a fun romance also has depth and layers to it. That's probably why I loved Float Plan so much. This sounds like a fun read. :)

Ti said...

When I saw this cover I immediately thought it was a story about a young man and his grandma. LOL. Am I wrong to think that female on the over is "of age"?

Cute story. I love when you share these kinds of reads.