.

.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Mother: A Novel by Yvvette Edwards

(Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!)
about book:

From the critically acclaimed author of A Cupboard Full of Coats comes a provocative novel of a mother enduring the loss of her child, illuminating some of the most important and troubling issues of our time.

Marcia’s husband, Lloydie, expresses his tender love for his wife each morning by preparing a cup of tea and setting it by her bedside. This routine was part of the wonderful, secure life they had built, complete with a brilliant and handsome sixteen-year-old son, Ryan.

Then the unimaginable happens, and in a single moment Marcia is stripped clean of everything she had presumed was hers for keeps. Ryan, not the kind of boy to find himself on the wrong end of a knife, is brutally murdered. Consumed by grief and rage, she is forced to carry the weight of the family’s pain. She has to assume the role of supporter for her inconsolable husband, who has distanced himself and created a secret life. She must also bridle her dark feelings and endure something no mother should ever have to experience: she must go to court alone for the trial of her son’s killer, Tyson, another teenage boy. As the trial takes apart her son’s life and reassembles it in front of strangers, Marcia, always certain of Ryan’s virtues, finds her beliefs and assumptions challenged as she learns more about her son’s death and of Tyson’s life.

The Mother is a moving portrait of love, tragedy, and survival—and of the aftershocks from a momentary act of cruel violence that transforms the lives of everyone it touches.

my thoughts:

I have to be honest and admit that I haven't finished reading this book.  I received my copy the other day and was only able to read part of it.  Here's what I think so far:

  • A mother (Marcia) has lost her son (Ryan) - he was stabbed to death.  She is heartbroken and wants answers.  Her sister offers support and so does the family liason officer provided by the police department.  However, her husband Lloydie can only manage to provide physical support (like cups of tea), instead of emotional support (the type she desperately needs from him).  Talk about a heart-wrenching read!
  • It was a teen-aged boy (Tyson) who killed her son.  They are both the same age - seventeen. The story opens with Tyson's trial for murdering Ryan.  Suffice it to say, its a dark day for everyone involved.
  • Ryan grew up with plenty, while Tyson did not.  Race and poverty play a big role in this story.  Both boys are Black, which is noted in an article written about the murder.  Except, its not specific enough to point out their differences or who was the victim.  This bothers Marcia, because she feels that their differences are vast.  Her son was brought up right, while the murderer was raised in poverty and crime.  She cant' help but observe Tyson's mom in the courtroom.  I feel that Marcia's first person narrative is important in providing us with an authentic voice throughout the story.  We feel her pain and sorrow so deeply in her observations, her emotions, and her perspective - its so moving and powerful. 
  • Its such an emotional read.  The writing is terrific and the characters are so honest and real.  I can't help but be engrossed in each page. This is one book that I'm definitely enjoying and appreciating.  I would definitely read more of Edwards books.
And now, I'm off to finish reading The Mother.  Happy reading!!

Here's the link to the TLC Book Tour schedule for: The Mother
Thank you to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of this book!

10 comments:

Aarti said...

My goodness, this sounds like it would be very intense and very powerful if done well. Would love to hear your thoughts when you are done!

Nadia said...

Aarti, you are spot on! Thanks ;)

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

My son is 14 and a really good kid ... I'm sure I'll see reflections of him in Ryan, and that will make this book hit really close to home for me.

Thanks for being a part of the tour!

Nadia said...

Heather, I can only imagine how much this book will hit home with moms, especially moms of teens. Thanks so much for having me on this tour - I loved this book!!

Beth said...

That cover is beautiful. Also, I was sad you weren't at BEA! :(

Nadia said...

Beth, it is a beautiful cover :) I would have loved to have been at BEA - maybe next year! I did enjoy reading all the tweets and bookish posts about it.

bermudaonion said...

This does sound emotional but also very engaging!

Nadia said...

Kathy, it really was quite an emotional read. I loved it! I think you would definitely find it engaging.

Andi said...

I had this one and my ARC ran out. Sob! I hope I can circle back around to it. Sounds very promising!

Nadia said...

Andi, it really is. Definitely try to circle back to it :)