.

.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

The Swan's Nest: A Novel by Laura McNeal

(Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!)
 

about book: (summary from Goodreads)

A tender and engrossing historical novel about the unlikely love affair between two great 19th-century poets, Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett

On a bleak January day in 1845, a poet who had been confined to her room for four years by recurrent illness received a letter from a writer she secretly idolized but had never seen. “I love your verses with all my heart, dear Miss Barrett,” Robert Browning wrote, “and I love you too.”
 
Elizabeth Barrett was ecstatic. She was famous for her poetry but completely cut off from the kind of international travel that Browning used to fuel his obscure, unsuccessful, innovative poems, one of which was written from a murderer’s point of view. They began an affectionate correspondence, but Elizabeth kept delaying a visit. What would happen when he saw her in person? What was Robert really like? Could she persuade her father and brothers that he was honorable, even though she had never met his family? And what would happen if she gave in to Robert’s wild proposal that they go to Italy to see whether the sun could cure her?
 
McNeal brilliantly tells the story of how Robert and Elizabeth fell in love with each other’s words and shocked her conservative, close-knit family and the literary world. Sensitively and lyrically written, as rich as the lovers' own poetry, The Swan's Nest will sweep up readers in the triumphant story of two people forced to choose between a safe, stable life and the love they felt for each other.

my thoughts:

Wow! The Swan's Nest by Laura McNeal is historical fiction at its very best! The writing is terrific, the story is unputdownable, and the history is unforgettable. I loved reading this book! 

Okay, so what did I enjoy about this lovely novel? Here goes:

1. The book's cover. I just love the image and the way she's looking right at you. It's like you can tell she's hiding a secret or four. I love it!

2. The title. Led me to Elizabeth's poem, The Romance of the Swan's Nest

3. Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning's love story. I didn't know the details and was definitely intrigued. Love letters - over 500 of them! A secret romance. A secret wedding! Italy! Oh, my! I loved reading all about it!

4. The Barrett's family fortune from a Jamaican sugar plantation. Slavery, social injustice, racism all were divulged. Along with Elizabeth's brother's relationship with his 'housekeeper'. 

5. Elizabeth's tyrannical father who refuses to let his children marry. 

6. Elizabeth's illness, which kept her in bed and using drugs like morphine. 

7. Robert's proposal, secret visit, and LOVE for Elizabeth.

8. Elizabeth choosing to follow her heart.

9. A marriage that proved love is the answer.

Oh, what a wonderful story! True romance is at the core, but McNeal captures the the history of the 19th century so vividly - you can't help but find yourself time traveling and wandering alongside these famous poets. What a treat! 

I would happily recommend The Swan's Nest by Laura McNeal to anyone and everyone looking for their next historical fiction read - you will fall in deep with this book! Make sure to check it out!




Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

2 comments:

Lark said...

yay! I'm so glad to hear how much you loved this one. I've got it on my TBR list and am looking forward to reading it this year...sometime. Their love story really intrigues me. :D

Nadia said...

Lark, yes! I loved this book. Such a great read! You are going to LOVE it :) I know, it was so much fun reading about their love story - I had no idea :)