.

.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tea Time For The Traditionally Built


Tea Time For The Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith

This is my first blog post ever, so I am really hoping that this reads well. Here goes.

I read this book in snippets over lunch every day because I did not want it to end. I wanted to savour it and keep the story going because I knew that once I finished reading the book that would be it. I have no idea if Alexander McCall Smith will write another No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency book, but I really do hope that he does. I read an article a few years back stating that the series had an end date and so, each time a new book comes out, I whoop for joy.

This book was no exception - as soon as I saw it on the bookshelf at the shop I snatched it up and ran to the checkout. Opening the book and diving into the world of Precious Ramotswe instantly cheered me up. This time round, Mma Ramotswe had to contend with the demise of her tiny white van, a football team's losing streak, and Mma Makutsi's insecurities over her fiance's new employee. Set in the beautiful country of Botswana and filled with cups of red bush tea, this book was a brilliant way for me to escape from the mundane trivialities that make up my work day. I was swept away by the vivid descriptions, characters and language of the text and just found myelf smiling, cheering and reflecting on these character's concerns, dreams, thoughts. When Mma Ramotswe worries about her husband Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni's late night drives back from a friend's garage, or when she ponders what the future holds for her two foster children Motholeli and Puso, I found myself empathizing with her concerns, because who hasn't worried about their loved ones' futures and the unknown of dark deserted streets. When Mma Makutsi treated herself to a pair of mock-crocodile shoes I cheered her on, because what hard working woman doesn't deserve to treat herself every now and again. As the story progressed and cases were solved, I braced myself for the end when I would have to say goodbye to Mma Ramotswe and her friends. Nonetheless, when I finished the book, I was left with a smile on my face and a touch of sadness in my heart, because now I will have to wait and hope that Alexander McCall Smith is working on a new mystery for The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency to solve. My fingers are crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have I popped your comment cherry! Whoo!
The blog looks great, I like the picture and the layout, I'm rubbish at all that.
I haven't read any of the Lady Detectives but I do watch the BBC series on a Sunday night.
Good luck with the blog! It's great fun, isn't it.