.

.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern


I just finished this book today and I must say that my opinion is a bit mixed. The premise of the story is: Justin donates blood and begins to run into a woman with whom he has an intense connection and suddenly he begins to receive gifts on his doorstep (basket of muffins, his dry cleaning, etc). Joyce has tragic accident and receives blood transfusion and wakes up to find herself capable of recalling memories that do not belong to her, along with a fluency in Latin, Italian and architectural history. Will Joyce ever meet the previous owner of her new memories and does Justin ever get to know the sender of his gifts? That is the what the book is about and well, let's just say that there were some moments where I was happy to be reading the book, but the rest of the time I couldn't wait for the story to end. The writing was a bit flat this time round and the characters were not really all that likeable (well, except for Joyce's dad). Overall, it was mediocre and I don't really have anything to say about it. Oh well.

As for my day, it has been a long one. Work was work (which means that it was boring and I was secretly checking my email, facebook, goodreads and grad schools online). Oh, but I did get an advance copy of Monica Ali's latest book, In The Kitchen. I am excited about this book, as I really did enjoy Brick Lane. Although I have not read Alentejo Blue yet, so I might read that one first and then In The Kitchen. Hmmm. Either way, they are both now on my TBR list. However, before I dive into any of Ali's books, I will be starting The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I've read such great reviews of this book that I am going to skip reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (was next on my TBR list) and start this one now!

Ta for now!

3 comments:

claire said...

I'd love to read In the Kitchen, you are so lucky! The Elegance of the Hedgehog I really loved, I hope you enjoy it. Btw, you won the giveaway for Follow Me, here. Congratulations! Please email me your mailing address (my email is on my sidebar). :D

Karen said...

I read this one last year and thought pretty much the same as you - I was quite disappointed in it really.

Nadia said...

Karen - I know! What a bummer that this Ahern book was not up to par. I've enjoyed her other books a lot more and am hoping that this will be her only flop. I have to say that I really did enjoy the P.S. I Love You book, but I really did not like the film version.