.

.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Murakami for my Birthday...

Look what comes out on my birthday this year - HURRAH!!


How awesome is that? I've never read the Trilogy of the Rat, so I'm super stoked to get started later this year when the books come out: August 4th!!  I just love that both Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 will be together in this new edition by Knopf.  I already own copies of both A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance, so I'm set to read all four books in the Trilogy of the Rat (which is really a quartet, since there are four books - the last one being the epilogue).  Anyhow, I'm over the moon that these new-to-me Murakami stories will be released on my birthday - talk about a great present!  I can't wait to settle in to my favorite reading spot and get lost in Murakami's words and world.   Pretty cool, eh?

What about you?  Are you excited that Murakami's first two books will finally be released here in the US?  Apparently, they were translated into English, but he was against a wide distribution of them, so they were limited in release.  He wasn't a huge fan of his early work and didn't want anyone to read it (or so I've heard according to Murakami folklore.)  Either way, I'm just happy to finally be getting my hands on the two stories - woo hoo!  Have you read these books?  Are they vintage Murakami?  And, why is it referred to as the Trilogy of the Rat?

I'm off to finish reading Marty Wingate's latest book, The Rhyme of the Magpie and continue reading The Mapmaker's Children by Sarah McCoy.  Happy reading!!

9 comments:

Bellezza said...

Well, this is the first I've heard about Murakami's latest release, and I must say I'm as excited as you are! The Trilogy of the Rat is great (what, by Murakami, isn't?!) but it could always stand a reread by me. I'll look for this latest edition as I own everything he's ever written. I once paid a ridiculous amount on eBay for Pinball, 1973 because I heard it was going to be unattainable...

Nadia said...

M, I knew you'd be excited about this new release :) And I'm in complete agreement with you - what Murakami isn't great!?! The only author I would pay a ridiculous amount of money for is Kurt Vonnegut. I own all of his books, even multiple editions of some of his novels. So, I can understand needing to get Pinball, 1973 for a hefty sum - especially since it was going to be unattainable. I'm excited to read about the Rat :)

Lark said...

Always excited to hear about another Murakami novel to read. He's such a great author. I'm glad I still have several of his novels to look forward to reading. :)

Ti said...

Flipping out here! Knew it was coming but now I am really excited!

Ti said...

Flipping out here! Knew it was coming but now I am really excited!

Nadia said...

Lark, me too! I've saved several of his books, because I don't want to run out of Murakami stories to read :)

Ti, I figured you'd know about it :) I can't wait!! Mega excited!!

Beth said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read any of his work. I should fix that ASAP. Ha! And that's awesome it comes out on your birthday - If I were you, I would totally justify buying myself a bday present for something like that ;)

Nadia said...

Beth, read him! I am positive you will LOVE his writing - it is fantastic! And, I was thinking the same thing. It would be the PERFECT bday gift to myself :)

Lisa said...

Perfect excuse for some new books!