.

.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Non-Bookish Thoughts...

Okay, so I'm one of those folks that totally believes in signs and gut feelings.  Like, I was at the grocery store the other day and I saw this man clutching a $25 scratchcard and got this overwhelming need to purchase one as well - the exact kind he had.  And guess what?  I won $100!  Pretty nifty, eh?  Or the time I decided to listen to my dream and read a Kurt Vonnegut novel and then he became my absolute favorite writer (he's the author I re-read most) of all time.  And then there was that other time I went with my gut and asked someone out for coffee and he became SOMEONE in my life.  So, you see my track record is not all that bad. 

Well, today I was reading my copy of Elle (a magazine that I have been debating to stop reading - I want to cancel my subscription, but I've already paid up until 2016 so its a moot point right now) and I saw two things that I'm convinced are signs that turning 36 is going to be the BEST thing ever.  The first was an article about clothes.  Yes, I know that sounds shallow, but its true.  The article was called, Goodbye To All That.  Originally I wasn't even going to read it, but then I read the blurb and decided that I could totally relate - "How does a thirtysomething woman dress - and feel - exactly her age: not young, exactly, but not old, either?"  So, I started to read and found out that the author had just turned 36 - talk about coincidence (I am turning 36 next month!).  To celebrate, she decided to gift herself a "closet cleanse" - two women come to your home and go through your wardrobe and get rid of anything/everything that shouldn't be there (like the short skirt you wore in your twenties, to the loud jacket you thought was quirky, to the scuffed boots you never wear anymore).  Then they advise you on what you should buy (to fill the now empty closet), so that you can achieve the "new look" you are going for - polished, pulled together, and playful.  Reading this article made me realize that I could totally relate.  My style is a mishmash of cheap/expensive clothing that does not really say much about who I am now.  When I was younger it was easier to dress for the day - I would go with my mood.  If I wanted to feel girly, I would wear a flowing dress with boots; if I wanted to feel French, I would wear a pretty scarf and ballet flats; and if I wanted to feel academic, I'd wear my corduroy blazer and boyfriend jeans.  But now, my idea of dressing up is making sure to put on a bracelet and a dab of lip gloss. Ugh!  I live in my ratty Beatles tee shirts, ripped jeans, and Converse.  Sometimes I wear a pretty blouse to feel feminine. Or I make sure to carry my Tory Burch or Marc Jacobs handbag to feel stylish.  Reading this article made me realize I need help.  I can't afford a "closet cleanse", but I can definitely use my own common sense and cull my own wardrobe.  Plus, I can drag my sister shopping with me and get some new things.  I want my "new look" to reflect that I'm older and wiser - but still youthful (I am only turning 36 after all). 

Now, for the second thing I read in Elle - it was a review of Murakami's latest book (which comes out in August!!).  According to the magazine, the book is an amazing new masterpiece (no big surprise there).  Anyhow, it wasn't the review that captured my attention, it was this quote:

"Though he lacked a striking personality, or any qualities that made him stand out, and despite always aiming for what was average, the middle of the road, there was (or seemed to be) something about him that wasn't exactly normal, something that set him apart.  And this contradiction continued to perplex and confuse him, from his boyhood all the way to the present, when he was 36 years old."

He's 36!  The protagonist in Murakami's, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, is 36 years old - how perfect!  Not only did learning that fact make me even more excited about reading the book, but it really made think that turning 36 is definitely going to be quite a "pilgrimage" of learning and I am ready for it.  I really feel like this book is coming out at the perfect time (just after my birthday).  How cool!

Of course, all of this thinking about getting older has made me realize that I've neglected my "40 before 40" list.  I don't think I've crossed anything off of it this year - ack!  So, I really need to start looking over it and get to work ASAP.  Especially now that I've learned my friend Kris' list has so many more items crossed off of it than mine.  Yes, I'm feeling a bit competitive.  I think it helps to spur me on (or at least I want it to).  Anyhow, that's what I've been thinking about today.  Now I need to go eat some pizza and read - I still have to finish my copy of Elle.  Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I can relate in some ways. I'm going to be 48 in December. And it's weird because that age used to be old and suddenly it's not. And I'm getting closer to 50 which really used to be old and now, I'm realizing that 50 is quite young! I could do with the whole makeover thing though. That would be awesome.

Bellezza said...

I have a really good feeling about this Murakami...it doesn't seem like it's going to be quite as (bizarre?) abstract as some of the others. Not that I'm complaining.

Love a personal post such as this, love torn jeans with all my heart. I never wore mine with Converse, but I did love them with my lavender cowboy boots. ;)

Happy almost thirty six, whenever that day arrives. I remember being 36 once. xo

Brandie said...

I wish I had gut feelings like that! If I do, I don't pay attention to them. Lol. You're making me want to do a closet cleanse. I think I'll go shopping today!! We are only as old as we feel. Live it up! :) and happy early birthday!! Hope this is the best year yet!

Nadia said...

Holly, its crazy isn't it how much getting older changes our perspective of the actual number. 50 is young though :) It would be awesome, wouldn't it :)

Bellezza, I know! That's what I was thinking as well - it feels more special for some reason. I love that - lavender cowboy boots! Amazing!! Thanks so much :)

Brandie, you are so right! We are only as old as we feel and I don't feel quite 36 yet :) Thanks!

Heidi’sbooks said...

So, last Easter I was feeling frumpy and decided to go shopping for a new,cute skirt and blouse. After 4 hours of shopping, I came home with a yellow skirt with purple flowers--so fresh and springy! My whole family almost had a heart attack. (I have teen boys.) They thought it was way too young. Huh? I proudly wear it and feel so fun everytime I do. I hope you can find something fun, yet professional.

Vintage Reading said...

'Beatles tee shirts, ripped jeans, and Converse' sound pretty cool and stylish to me! Loved this post.

Nadia said...

Heidi's Books, I love that! That's so great to have something that you makes you feel so good - that is a great idea! I'm hoping to get a piece like that - sometimes you need something to brighten your day and that skirt sounds like it does the trick :) Thanks!

Vintage Reading, thanks! It actually isn't that bad - I just want something to turn up the volume sometimes :)

Ti said...

I just tagged you on FB to read an excerpt of Murakami's new book. The book seems a lot more philosophical than any of his others and you know how deep they can be.

36? That is a good age to be.

Nadia said...

Ti, thanks so much - am heading over now to read it :) And, I am loving how special this book is feeling - can't wait to read it!! And thanks for the heads up - 36 is going to be a great age ;)

Lisa said...

Kudos to finding ways to accept a birthday! Of course, I would LOVE to be just 36 again - you're still so young!

Nadia said...

Lisa, thanks!

SIMON PATCHIN said...

I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family... I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can WhatsApp Lord Zakuza for help or text with this number +1 740-573-9483 or you can send him an email to Lordzakuza7@gmail.com